Friday 28 March 2008

A Squirming Worm

The third trimester has started and I still am not able to sleep. This, of course, gives me a great excuse to take it easy and lie down for a snooze every day after lunch. Funnily enough it's like everyone knows when I'm snoozing as most days the door bell or the telephone will ring. I don't mind, though, as I probably would sleep away all afternoon and then not be able to sleep at all at night (again).
Joe and I have also attended antenatal classes and taken a tour of the hospital's delivery suite. The classes (now called parent craft classes) were good as the midwives did not embellish anything. Some of the couples looked quite pale after our first afternoon when we were told what to expect at the birth. Pain, mainly. "Contractions have to hurt", "we're happy to wait on the phone until the contraction is over and you can speak again", "would you like an epidural to relieve the pain?" were just a few sentences that were thrown at us. Basically, giving birth is like shoving a chair up you nostril: not a pleasant experience. Forget all about dignity, you're going to scream, poo, bleed and be inspected from all angles, even unsavoury ones.

The kicking has turned into a squirming, with the occasional kick (always aimed at my ribcage) thrown in for good measures. It's really funny to see how my bump changes shape depending on how the baby is positioned. Sometimes my bump shifts to one side, sometimes I look square. And when you watch her shifting positon it looks as if there is a squirming worm in my tummy.

No comments: