Sunday 25 May 2008

The Waiting Game

These days, of course, we're sitting here waiting for the little miss who is late. I hope that won't be the story of her life..... The rest of the pregnancy was much the same: walking the dog with a bump that got heavier and heavier, heartburn of astronomic dimensions and ankles the size of footballs.
We had one little hickup. I got a craving for Kellogg's Frosties and ate them by the kilo. When I went for my check up I had sugar in my urine twice which meant I had to go and take a Glucose Tolerance Test. The fact that it was during the week my mum was here was just idiotic. I had to be at the hospital at 9am to have some blood taken, then I had to drink 500ml of Lucozade (why would anyone actually pay for that?), wait for three hours and then have some more blood taken. It's a good thing I had a good book with me as it was boring as hell. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything else, so the cafeteria was out and going home would just have taken too long.
The result of all of this was that everything was normal and I didn't have to worry about it.

A couple of weeks later I got a telephone call from the surgery in Brampton. Could I please come and pick up a prescription as I was slightly anaemic. Good girl that I am I did, went to the pharmacy and took my iron tablets: they wreaked havoc on my digestive system and when I complained to the midwife she couldn't understand why I got them in the first place. I don't think they were ever intended for me. It's a good thing they were "only" iron tablets.

Last week, we were back at the midwife's clinic where she performed a "sweep and stretch" (or as Joe calls it: a scratch and sniff) to hopefully start off labour in the next few days. It was incredibly painful and I don't think my reaction was quite what Leila and Donna expected: I was laughing my head off. That is my way of dealing with pain, so I think labour will be a very interesting and funny time for us....

No comments: